I had not seen this myself. A friend contacted me and said he had been infected with it. I started doing a little research.
Seems to be adware more than anything. I personally despise adware, viruses and malware. When I see it on my computer I get rid of it and anything associated with it.
The first thing you could try if it hasn’t been on your computer long is to restore your machine to a previous date (before you were infected). Even if you do that I would suggest scanning the machine to make sure.
Rather than duplicate everything that is already out there about it you can check this page for detailed information. They have a lot of details about it and links to all the tools to scan and remove.
Hope it helps.
Windows XP Pro
Worked on a machine that wouldn’t boot up. The message it gave was “A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code:0x80040017”
My first thought was a virus or malware but since I couldn’t log into the machine I managed to log into safe mode and did a system restore to about 10 days earlier, that didn’t work so I tried a different restore point and that didn’t work either so I started searching the internet and trying all the different things I found. None of that worked.
I had read some posts by people who ran chkdsk /r and it solved their problem so I tried that, found problems and corrected them still had same problem. Ran defrag and chkdsk again. Booted into windows normally and thought I had it till it gave me the blue sceen we all hate to see, tried booting into safe mode and it just froze and wouldn’t do anything. Turned it off and back on and it ran chkdsk on it’s own and found some more problems (some of which were in the restore folder) after which it still gave me the original error. Went back into safe mode and picked a different restore point again and it worked this time.
Scanned for Malware and fixed problems then did a deep scan for malware and fixed those problems.
From this point it would be a matter of making sure there are no other malware items, viruses or spyware but the machine seems to be fine now.
Over the weekend Sept. 8 2008 while working on a machine I ran spybot. It found some adware called Zango. Spybot said it had to reboot to remove some of it and that is where the problem starts. When it reboots you will see
The parameter is incorrect.” Clicking it keeps reporting error message over and over. The system never really goes beyond that point.
Took a little research but here is how I corrected it
Log on to the system in safe mode. Start regedit. Navigate to the following registry key and see if there is an entry with “c:\windows\system32\command.com …” in the data portion of the entry:
It had several entries to run Spybot and remove things so I deleted those entries and restarted the machine. Ran Spybot again and undid the changes to that section and it seemed to work fine.
I didn’t do it because it wasn’t my machine but they say you can remove it instructions here.